Monday, July 23, 2012

Homemade Monday: Homemade Baby Wipes

I'm going to try to make something homemade once a week. I realize this is very ambitious (well, actually, the homemade part is really easy; uploading pictures to the computer, editing, then getting on here and writing a blog post about it -- now that's the time-consuming part). Anyway, this week's project was a total bust. It's actually pretty funny how wrong I did everything. First of all, you're supposed to use Viva paper towels. I didn't have any on hand and didn't want to go to the store, so I used Brawny instead. My first mistake.

You're supposed to start by cutting the role in half with a knife. It looked horrible already.
Uh, not that way, Hope. In half CROSSWAYS!! (My second mistake).
But that's okay, I figured it out and cut them in half the correct way: 

Then because they were such different sizes, I further cut some of them in half again to make them roughly the same size: 

Then gather your necessities. The recipe is (for one WHOLE roll of paper towels): 4 cups of water, 4 Tbsp of baby wash, and 2-3 Tbsp of baby oil. A few things about that. I think that much water is a lot. That could be because I used Brawny, and Viva would have been a lot more absorbent. Secondly, I don't have baby oil, so I used 1 Tbsp of fractionated coconut oil and 1 of olive oil. Then I added a few drops of melaleuca (tea tree oil). One could also use a few drops of lavender or frankincense essential oils, just for a nice touch. 

Make your mixture and put it in a baking pan (or whatever will work), then place your paper towels in the pan. They will soak up the liquid, but you'll probably need to turn the stacks of paper towels upsidedown once. 

Place the stacks in ziplock bags or in wipe containers. And there you have it: 

SO, if you decide to do this project, make sure you use VIVA paper towels and cut them the CORRECT way! And play around with the liquid recipe.

*Have you ever made homemade wipes? Do you think it's worth it? 'Cause I'm not sure it is!


4 comments:

Jessica Rhodes said...

I made my own for both Jacob and Ella. I kept them on a roll, though. Just pull out the cardboard tube and you can pull the wipes out fromn the center. I think we used a 1 gallon tupperware container.

Elisabeth M said...

I made my own, but with fabric. One layer cotton knit, one layer jersey, serge around the edge of the square. Conall's going on two and they're still like new, other than being faded. 8x8 or 12x12 seems to be a good size.

Jessica Rhodes said...

Also meant to add that a serrated bread knife might work a little better.

Carl and Amber said...

A good friend of mine always makes her own. She swears by Bounty and buys the ones that have the perforations for the smaller wipes. She also uses the gallon tupperware container just Jessica.