Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homemade Monday: Homemade Toothpaste

Another disaster my friends, and here's how it went down. I followed this recipe:
2/3 cup of baking soda
2 tsp of salt (for "extra scrubbing power" according to the author of the recipe)
a few drops of peppermint essential oil or 1 tsp of peppermint extract
water to desired consistency
Mix together.
 Okay, so it wasn't a total disaster because I used it for about ten days. The disastrous part was that it was so ridiculously salty, it would burn my mouth, gums, and lips. After about the seventh day, my tongue was salt-burned (if there is such a thing), and anything that I ate that was acidic burned my mouth (tomatoes, oranges, pasta sauce).
So, I quit.
But I DID love the way it made my teeth feel. See how pretty they are: 
Actually, they're lookin' a little yellow-y. I gotta do something about that.
So, you should try this at least once in your life, but LEAVE OUT THE SALT. All you need is baking soda and water, and for minty-fresh breath, a little peppermint extract.

No comments: