Friday, August 15, 2008

another day in the Kidd empire / August 15, 2008

Oh boy, it was another fun day in the Kidd empire. It started out with Benji waking up at 6 am, very fussy. Finally he went back to sleep around 6:30 for another 40 minutes. Then at 7:05, Ethan woke up fussing. Two crying babies.
Benj was ready for a nap by 9:30, but wouldn't go to sleep. I took both kids to Ethan's Messy Muddy Toddlers class, the mess of which stresses me out and makes me want a Zanax. Today's theme was food day: painting with cooked spaghetti, carrot sticks, and potato mashers. Benj did fall asleep in the bjorn for about 30 minutes (NOT long enough!) then woke up. After class, Ethan played on the playground for awhile, then we came home because Kate was going to come over for lunch for an hour before nap time.
We go home, Benji very sleepy and fussy. I don't know how else to get him to sleep, so I turn on the tv and tell Ethan to stay downstairs and watch tv (mind you, this is after he's already watched his 1 hour of morning cartoons!). I go upstairs and nurse Benj for awhile, swaddle him, and put him down good and asleep. He wakes up 10 minutes later! In the meantime, Ethan's been eating meatballs for lunch.
I put Benji in the sling and he quickly goes back to sleep. Then Ethan chokes on his food, starts coughing, and of course, vomits copious amounts onto the couch, the coffee table, and the floor. Since I'm holding a sleeping baby in the sling, I have trouble doing much about the vomiting until it's too late and it's everywhere. I put Benj down in the bouncy seat, start to clean Ethan up, and then Kate and Bridget come to the door. I want to burst into tears, but can't just yet.
Bridge takes all the kids upstairs (including Benj, who woke up only 5 minutes after being in the bouncy seat) and keeps them occupied for 15 minutes while I clean up meatbally vomit, trying not to throw up myself.
At 1:25, I start to put Ethan down for nap. Benj is asleep again in the sling. I read a couple of stories, but Ethan is whining and crying because he's trying to crawl inside his clothes hamper like a bear cave, and it keeps collapsing on him. This carries on for about 10 minutes. I can feel myself growing more gray hairs.
Ethan is put down at 2 and falls asleep around 2:20. Benj has been put down in his co-sleeper and sleeps for awhile. I finish my lunch, do some dishes, clean up the front porch, wash vomit out of couch covers, and start the laundry. Then Benji wakes up. I nurse him and get him back to sleep. Then Ethan is crying in his room. Why is he crying? He wants a toy that is on the floor. Good heavens! I rock him in the chair, give him the toy, and put him back down. I walk out of the room, lean against the wall, pray "God give me patience" for the tenth time today, rub my temples, then go downstairs.
That was ten minutes ago; I am now venting on this post.
I probably say too much on this blog. It's just so much easier to say too much when writing than to tell people in person.
BTW, Chad asked me (regarding yesterday's post) why I wanted to be paid for what I do. Perhaps I should explain. Money is valued by everyone. If someone is paid money, he is recognized universally as having done something valuable. Even though somewhere in the back of my head, I know that what I am doing is valuable, it would be nice if I was given something that is universally appreciated and said, "What you are doing is worthwhile."
Besides, getting money for things you do makes it not seem so much like work. :)

No comments: