Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Oh my gosh! I'm now a blogger! / August 13, 2008

So, I've obviously decided to join the dark side and become a blogger. This could easily become my latest addiction. Instead of making this a cutesie, family-oriented, airy, and breezy website swamped with pictures of my adorable children, I've decided to make this a small opening into my dark soul, full of my rambling, mostly confusing thoughts.
Can you handle it? I think so.
As a line from my current novel reads: "It's like looking through a tiny window of a submarine into the sea of her soul." By reading this blog, you will be reading the latest in the saga of my problematic brain. Actually, I'll probably say what I did that day and spend a moment gushing over Benji's smiles and Ethan's remarks.
By the way, tonight's menu is Chinese chicken salad. I just spent 30 minutes making it: lettuce, cabbage, green onions, sugar snap peas, pecans (because I didn't have almonds), mandarin oranges, and chicken. It has a dressing with soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and sugar. It is very tasty. I will not be counting points tonight.
Wow, that was a dark thought, wasn't it?
This morning, I went to get Ethan out of bed and walked into the wooden nursing stool, yelled "Ooowww" and muttered a curse word so Ethan wouldn't hear. I either sprained my pinky toe or bruised it very badly. It is purple all over right now, and I had to take 600 mg of ibuprofen. I could tell right away it was going to be a great day. But Ethan made it all better by offering to put Blankie on my toe since Blankie makes everything better.
Today was the first field trip of the Verano play group, suggested  by Jen, organized by me. We went to the Santa Ana Zoo. We were the first ones there at 10 am, the next person came at 10:25. Ethan wanted to go feed the goats, so we went at 10:35, but they didn't have the pellet machine out because the goats are sick. "I want to ride the train!" he wailed.
"The train doesn't start till 11:00."
We go back to the group who had arrived, and we went to see the monkeys. Ethan cried most of that time and refused to get out of the stroller to see them. Oh boy. We made our way over to the train and had to wait 2 times for our turn; Ethan was amazingly patient during this time. We rode the train, then went back to the playground to eat  lunch, where Ethan suffered his 2nd and 3rd time out sessions for throwing sand. I think he didn't understand the difference between throwing and dropping sand. Or he did, and he was being a stink pot. My children being disobedient?? Never!
We came home, Benji crying hard the entire way. I couldn't find the parking pass for five minutes and was thinking that it would be worth a parking ticket if I could just get the kids inside and to sleep, when I found it on the other side of the passenger seat. Benji cried a total of 45 minutes. He was so upset he didn't even want milk. He is now very tired and is napping. Ethan went down easily. I tried to nap but it was too light in the room, and I kept waking up or getting cold. I sort of slept, but not well, for an hour.
That's all I have to say for my first blog post. No insights; it would probably have damaged my brain too much if I'd experienced a revelation today. The zoo did me in.
As I said to Chad the other day: I am a 27-year-old, successful, educated, strong woman; but it is a 2-year old who has the power to fell me.

No comments: